22.9.08

THE TOTAL WILL SOON BE NINE

fifteen years have gone
just when i thought they'd leave me alone
another birth would occur in May
leaving me with nothing to say

i had my first niece when i was nine
i thought God had imposed me with a fine
she's now fifteen, a gifted writer
a responsible sister, a gallant fighter

two years after, she had a brother
whose quirkiness often fumed his mother
he said he wanted to be a photographer
an ambition my sister would hardly consider

second niece popped out in 1997
her eyes were the envy of angels of heaven
now she's ten, all sweet and curious
you never can tell when she is serious

third and fourth nieces of different parents
one is fussy while the other, silent
August and November of 1999 must be so proud
to witness their births with cheers so loud

a year after the second millennium
spring and summer burst into a delirium
my sisters welcomed their third and fourth
assuring them the increase in kiddie clothes

my brother's heir came out in July
2006 heard another cry
i felt so so old and cranky
although i was only 23

this May will see another arrival
looks like my nieces have to fight for their survival
another girl in the family, yes it is
the Halil household can't be merrier than this

No comments: